Maryville University brings the joy and healing power of music to kids at St. Louis pediatric cancer centers.
Kids Rock Cancer is an innovative program that helps children successfully cope with the unique set of emotional challenges that accompany a cancer diagnosis. Through the proven healing power of music therapy, Kids Rock Cancer provides them with:
- A vehicle for self-expression
- A sense of self-esteem and accomplishment
- A distraction from the physical and emotional pain
- A sense of joy and optimism
Based on similar successful programs around the country, Kids Rock Cancer helps combat the feelings of anxiety, depression, uncertainty and helplessness that may accompany the physical side effects of cancer treatment.
Here's How it Works
Using a portable recording studio, a certified music therapist helps the child write and record a unique song on a CD to take home and keep.
- During a session the music therapist helps the child express a set of thoughts that will become lyrics to an original composition.
- The music therapist utilizes instruments and computer technology, along with the child's input, to develop background tracks.
- The child sings into a microphone and "stars" in the song they have written-receiving a keepsake CD of their accomplishment.